NHS Screening Programme
Screening is a way of identifying apparently healthy people who may have an increased risk of a particular condition. The NHS offers a range of screening tests to different sections of the population. The NHS screening programmes currently offered in England are listed below please click on links to find out more.
Diabetic Eye Screening
- Diabetic eye screening is a test to check for eye problems caused by diabetes.
- Eye problems caused by diabetes are called diabetic retinopathy. This can lead to sight loss if it's not found early.
- The eye screening test can find problems before they affect your sight.
- Pictures are taken of the back of your eyes to check for any changes.
- If you have diabetes and you're aged 12 or over, you'll get a letter asking you to have your eyes checked at least once a year.